Disclaimer: This article is primarily intended for my students, but others may find it useful as well.
This article will discuss India’s National Immunization Schedule 2017.
There have been several changes in the immunization schedule, most notably, the introduction of MR vaccine in several states; and the introduction of IPV.
There is no change in the immunization schedule for pregnant women.
There are several changes here:
1. IPV: Following the switch, IPV has been introduced as two fractionated doses at 6 and 14 weeks, respectively. OPV continues to be administered at 6, 10 and 14 weeks.
2. MR vaccine: In several states, MR vaccination campaign was initiated. Following the campaign, those states would offer MR#1 between 9-12 months; and MR#2 between 16-24 months. The remaining states would continue offering Measles between 9-12 months; and Measles Containing Vaccine #2 (MCV2) between 16-24 months.
3. Kerala has been offering MMR vaccine instead of MCV2 for some time now. Therefore, the state government took a policy decision to offer MR vaccine between 9-12 months; and MMR between 16-24 months instead of MR#2.
4. Rotavirus vaccine: This has also been introduced in a phased manner. It is an oral vaccine, and can be administered up to 1 year of age. It is scheduled for administration at 6, 10 and 14 weeks. Unlike OPV, the dose of this vaccine is 5 drops.
The immunization schedule for infants is as follows:
The notable change includes the MR#2 vaccine between 16-24 months.
#1. Two vaccines are administered in the left upper arm: BCG and JE
#2. Two vaccines are administered in the right upper arm: Measles/MR and IPV
#3. Two vaccines are administered intradermally: BCG and IPV
#4. Two vaccines are administered orally: OPV and Rotavirus
#5. Two vaccines are administered subcutaneously: Measles/MR and JE
#6. Two injectable vaccines do not have a dose of 0.5 ml:
- BCG: 0.1 ml (0.05 ml up to 1 month age)
- IPV: 0.1 ml
Link to the National Immunization Schedule 2017 (English) (PDF):
Link to article on National Immunization Schedule 2018: